• Users Online: 212
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 16  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 133-137

Evaluation of factors associated with high risk behaviour with alcohol dependence syndrome – A hospital based observational study


1 Professor of Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, NRI Medical College, Chinakakani, Andhra Pradesh, India
2 Associate professor of Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, NRI Medical College, Chinakakani, Andhra Pradesh, India
3 Senior resident in psychiatry, Department of psychiatry, Siddhartha Medical College, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
4 Professor and Head of the department, Department of Psychiatry, NRI Medical College, Chinakakani, Andhra Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Suresh K Kumar
Professor of Psychiatry, Department of psychiatry, NRI Medical College, Chinakakani, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Background: Alcohol is the world's third largest risk factor for disease and disability. The mortality and morbidity associated with alcoholism is compounded by the concept of risk taking. Heavy alcohol use is associated with varieties of high risk behavior such as motor vehicle accidents, high risk sexual behavior, criminal acts and self injurious behavior. Aims and objectives: To evaluate the association between severity of alcohol dependence and high risk taking behavior, sociodemographic factors and personality variables in male patients with alcohol dependence syndrome attending a tertiary care hospital in south India. Methods: The study is an observational study conducted in the department of psychiatry in a tertiary care teaching hospital. The severity of alcohol dependence was assessed using Severity of Alcohol Dependence Questionnaire and relationship of high- risk behavior to alcohol use was determined by asking about that ‘critical incident’ to define the role of alcohol during the incident. Results: A total of 50 subjects were included in the final analysis out of which 28(56%) belonged to 20 to 40 years and the remaining 22 (44%) belonged to 41 to 60 year age group. The high risk behavior was 66% (95% CI 51.2% to 78.8%) in the study population. The association between severity of alcohol dependence and high risk behavior, the association between sensation seeking score, impulsivity score and high risk behavior was statistically significant (p-value<0.001). Conclusions: The proportion of high risk behavior is very high among alcoholics. Involvement in road traffic injuries, high risk sexual practices, indulging in intentional self-harm and involving in conflict and violence were the common high risk behaviors. There is Positive association between high sensation seeking scores and high risk behaviors among alcoholics.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed889    
    Printed64    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded124    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal